Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Classroom Hugs

This year, it is my first time working with second graders, and I enjoy it way more than I originally thought I would.

I used to only want to teach upper elementary school, but my senior year of High School, I got placed for my education internship in a developmentally delayed early childhood classroom. My first couple of weeks there I didn't really enjoy it, but as I got to know the kids more, and spend more time with them, I began to love it. That's when I realized I don't care what grade I teach, as long as I teach.

Till then though, I have only been working with sixth graders, and now, finally, I'm working with second, and I love it.

My favorite thing about second graders is they still love teachers. I always walk in and get hugs from at least one student, and before I leave, I always have a few who try to pull me back in, or ask me questions they know the answers to, show me something, hug me, etc...

It really is a confidence booster. Obviously, my goal is not for my students to love me, it's to educate them, but it sure does feel good to be doing both.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I am having the opposite experience right now. All of my experience is with younger students (mostly 1st grade) and my new job has me working with 5th, 6th, and 7th graders. I always loved how younger students were so enamored with their teachers, but the older students are great too!

    I have not read a ton of The Book Thief yet, but so far I am really enjoying it. This is the synopsis on the back:
    1939. Nazi Germany. The country is holding its breath. Death has never been busier.

    Liesel, a nine-year-old girl, is living with a foster family on Himmel Street. Her parents have been taken away to a concentration camp. Liesel steals books. This is her story and the story of the inhabitants of her street when the bombs begin to fall.

    It is narrated by "death"

    Pretty interesting!

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete