Sunday, November 1, 2009

Little Battles

Currently I student aide for a second grade classroom. It's my first time working with second graders and I love it. They are a lot smarter, older, taller, and wiser than I remembered. They also have a lot more emotion than I imagined.

In grade school bullying, teasing, name calling, etc... is common. Kids feelings are hurt regularly, it's a sad statement, but a pretty true statement.

A few weeks ago, I was walking around, monitoring centers and this little boy we'll call Cam didn't have a partner. So I said okay work with Kat, her partner is absent today. Then Cam said can I work with some other student instead, and Kat began crying saying "my mom said everyone would like me."

Right away I told Cam to apologize and be Kat's partner, and to not treat other people this way and what he said and did just now, really hurt Kat's feelings. Cam instantly apologized and actually looked a bit worried and nervous. Then he proceeded to say, "i'm sorry, your baby brother was so cute when he came to visit the class last week." Instantly they made up and she forgave him and stopped crying.

After that day, I walked in a week later, and when they were to choose partners they chose each other.

I was really happy with how I handled the situation. My original thought was, oh crap, get the teacher, this little girl is crying. Instead, I handled it properly and didn't have to disturb the busy teacher in the process.

It probably won't always work out so wonderfully, but I was glad it did this time!

4 comments:

  1. Nice job! Good for you! It's great that you have a site like this to chronicle your journey. When I started, before electricity, I never even thought to keep a journal, no one did that in those days. You will love being able to look back! Good Luck! My only advice to you is learn and read everything you can on classroom managment &/or discipline! Check out Harry Wong's stuff - really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my site! Loved the comment you left. I left you a reply:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking that her mom telling her everyone will like her is a bad call. Glad it all worked out though, thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for checking out my blog. Like someone mentioned in another comment you'll be glad to have this record of your thoughts and experiences as you grow as an educator. You will definitely see your true potential as you get bombarded with more teaching experiences and you'll be surprised at how well you can handle them :) Best of luck to you as you start this journey!

    ReplyDelete