Saturday, November 7, 2009

What they don't Teach you...

I can honestly say, I think WIU's education program is pretty great.

They've given me a chance to observe a classroom for an entire day, observe preschool sessions, tutor k-3, then tutor 4-6th grade, and now I have a chance to student aide for a second grade classroom.

They give us plenty of experiences and opportunities to learn, however, they do not give us enough honesty.

We are writing 20-60 page lesson plans regularly, writing research papers, creating posters for different religions, reading books, creating podcasts, taking tests, taking major exams (conent area, basic skills, apt). We really do a lot, we put in so much work every week, get one credit hour, for classes that really have us meeting for 2.5 hours a week, etc...

How come these teachers aren't telling us what will realistically happen?? I see the teacher I work with every Wednesday morning, and she is a wonderful mentor, and I truly believe she has been nothing but helpful. I see her every Wednesday and she is just frazzled, she is always coming up with new lessons, ideas, activities, etc... for her students. She is searching for books for low level, average, and above average level readers, she is always working. During her breaks she is working, after school she is working, in summer she is working, she is always working.

When the kids go out to recess for ten-fifteen minutes, I always take that time and she always asks if I have any questions, and I love how she answers them, but how come our teachers aren't being so honest? They are sugar coating, avoiding, or simply too busy for these questions that don't relate to what we are learning.

I think colleges need to be more upfront about what to expect. They should definitely have a course called what to expect when you are a teacher or out in the real world ...or something!

I don't want to enter my first year of teaching being oblivious and ignorant. I don't want to assume i'll be done for the day at 3:00 pm sharp, and have three months in summer to do nothing, because that's definitely not the case at all.

So teachers out there, please talk to your students or student aides/teachers in the classroom and tell them what's really up, I can honestly say they will appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment