Monday, November 2, 2009

CPS

I live in a suburb near Chicago, and when I was a senior in high school, I got into the Golden Apple program. I won't go into too many details about the program in this entry, but one of the main benefits from Golden Apple is that you get to student aide in a classroom for three weeks in Chicago.

Golden Apple's main goal is to help create wonderful educators that can work in low needs classrooms.

I student taught at a school, that I won't say on here, but it was a rough experience. I had two years of prior experience student teaching, but that was in the suburbs. This was COMPLETELY different.

I worked with a sixth grade summer school class, and these children had to pass summer school to move on to junior high or they would have to repeat the sixth grade. It's hard working with children during the school year because they are so anxious and antsy to get out of school, so imagine working with a bunch of kids who were forced into summer school.

The first week was the hardest. The kids were rude, disrespectful, and clearly did not want to be there. They didn't like me at first and didn't really give me a chance. At first, I was shocked. I worked with sixth graders already, they were so sweet, respectful, loved school, but again, the sixth graders I worked with before were from the suburbs and came from middle class families. These students were living in poor areas and coming from mainly low-income families. Some were involved in gangs, some had no parents to go home to.

At first, I can honestly say, I did not enjoy the experience and didn't think I ever would. However, as the days went on, the students began to trust me. They weren't afraid or threatened by me, and they could tell that I genuinely cared. As the days went on I began noticing that their summer school teacher could honestly not care about them or what happens to them. She was always yelling at them, threatening them, and she never really taught. She just handed them worksheets and said get this done by eleven, and then grab this. It was pretty depressing.

Whenever they had these worksheets and busy work to do, I would always walk around and help them as best as I could.

However, that's not really the point of this blog. I'm getting off topic, which will happen with me a lot.. (i'll try to work on that).

In the Fall of 2010, I have to do my student teaching, and I will be doing it in Chicago. Whenever I tell people this, they are a little too worried and concerned.

Reactions I get are similar to, "what? aren't you scared?" "Can't someone else do it?" "Be safe!!!" Etc... I remember getting those same reactions back then as well, and I just want to scream whenever someone says something like this.

I understand the neighborhoods are not as great, the students aren't going to be as respectful, etc... I do, and yes, some schools are bad, and have issues, I get that too. But to try to discourage me from wanting to make a difference really gets to me.

I'm sorry, but i've seen and even had an experience with a CPS teacher and many aren't that great. I know, I am not a teacher yet, but it's easy to tell what teachers are great and which are well not meant to be teachers.

I wouldn't work in a CPS my first year of teaching or first years only because I wouldn't be as effective. I would love to work for a school of need, but I believe they deserve the best teachers. Many of the students come from low income families and don't have positive role models. I want to show these students that if no one at home cares, I at least do.

I believe all children deserve excellent teachers (golden apple motto), and I'm excited to work at a low income school, so please don't try to stop me.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I completely agree with your desire to teach in a low income setting. I did my student teaching in a middle class school with mostly white children and I feel like I missed out on a considerable number of the important aspects of teaching because it was such a homogenous environment. When I started my real teaching job, I worked in a low income school and I LOVED it.

    If you have a passion for that type of teaching environment, don't let anyone stop you!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachna...I said I would stop by your blog!! I can't believe it...I'm a Golden Apple too!!!!! What a small world...what year are you...I'm an '05 scholar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, how crazy! I am an 06 scholar!

    ReplyDelete